Friday, July 15, 2011

Couscous Stuffed Chicken with Curry and Dijon Glaze

HEY HEY HEY!!!  Happy weekend everyone!  I decided to make one last recipe for the week after all and..oh...my...lord!  I am so glad I did.  This turned out verra verra nice.  I was pleasantly surprised.  There are plenty alterations you could make to this so don't be skerred.  That's what EBKS is all about after all!  We're here to clean out cupboards people!! Waste not...well...just waste not ok?!?

Cous Cous 
  • 1/4 cup uncooked couscous
  • 3 TBSP tomato, diced
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth, low sodium
  • 1 Jalapeno, diced
  • 1/2 cup canned green peas
  • dash salt
  • dash pepper
  • 1 TBSP olive oil
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp dried parsley
  • 1/2 garlic clove
Coat skillet with cooking spray and saute jalapeno and tomato until slightly brown.  In a small sauce pan, bring chicken broth to a boil.  Add couscous, jalapeno, tomato, and remaining ingredients to pan.  Remove from heat.  Cover with lid.  After several minutes, fluff with fork and let sit while preparing chicken.

Chicken with Curry and Dijon Glaze
  • 2 (6 oz) Chicken breasts
  • 1/4 cup Honey
  • 1/4 cup Dijon
  • 1/3 TBSP dried curry
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1 tsp crushed red pepper
  • 1/4 TBSP olive oil 
Heat oven to 400 degrees. 
Glaze:  Mix honey, Dijon, curry, black pepper and red pepper in a small dish and set aside. 
Place chicken breasts between two sheets of wax paper. Pound to 1/4 inch thickness.  With a basting brush put a light layer of glaze on the inside of the chicken breasts.  Put a layer of couscous mixture on top of the glaze and roll into croissant shape, using toothpicks to secure chicken.  Lightly glaze tops of chicken.  Heat olive oil over medium high heat in oven safe skillet.  Add chicken to skillet and let cook for approximately six minutes.  Remove toothpicks and gently turn chicken to other side.  Lightly baste tops of chicken and cook in oven for 5-8 minutes, or until cooked through.



Whatever would I have done if I hadn't picked up tomatoes and jalapenos at the farmer's market last Saturday?!

Glaze

Cooked couscous - pre fluffing ;-)

Chicken wrapped in wax paper or a dead body...hard to tell in this house

Glaze me glaze me!!  I swear it's good...you can't use too much of it if the mix is right

Peas peas try the peas!  They made this a very pretty finished product. (and they were tasty too of course)

Wrap me, glaze me, cook me up!  whoa!  um..sorry...got a little carried away

6 minutes on medium high.  Don't flip...you'll burn your toothpicks and make a mess

Smack it up, flip it, RUB IT DOWN...oh nooooooo :)  (gotta love the early 90s)

Careful with your pans here ladies and gents.  Not all pans are oven safe, k? k!

Can I eat them both because seriously, it's been about an hour and it STILL looks good.

See!  I told you!!  Look at those peas!  They look like pieces of asparagus or something. 

This is the picture where I cut you off.  They're gonna make sweet sweet chicken love in my belly.  Can't you tell by the vignette that's been created.  When the mood hits your eye like a big pizza pie...that's....NOM NOM NOM!

Hindsight is 20/20:
  • Chicken turned out perfect so don't mess with the cooking times too much
  • You can, as always, omit the jalapeno if you want
  • Olives and feta would also be good mixed in the couscous...I just didn't have any
  • You can play with the portions on the glaze as long as the proportions are fairly uniform
  • This was very tasty and would be nice with a side of green beans.  I didn't feel like I needed another veggie since I added peas to the couscous.  A salad with olives and feta would also be yummy.

No comments: