Friday, August 2, 2013

One Pot Chicken and Vegetables - so easy, it's a little embarrassing

(Original recipe can be found at The Daily Dish.)


This is how mine turned out (and it was fabulous if I do say so):



I made some minor tweaks to the recipe for personal taste and based on what we had on hand.  You don't have to have a Le Creuset but using a dutch oven is what makes this such an easy recipe.  Being able to move the pot from stovetop to oven is a huge time saver!  My changes are in blue.

1 c. flour - I don't think you need near this much.  I used less than 1/2 c.
1 t. freshly ground black pepper
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. paprika
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/4 c. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 stalks celery, chopped
5 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces I had 2 large carrots ....tomAYto/toMAHto
Turkish Bay Leaves (4-5 medium sized)
6 small potatoes, halved or quartered (depending on size) - I used two medium potatoes sliced into about 1 inch pieces
1 T. Herbes de Provence - I am meh on buying Herbes de Provence since most of us have the contents in our pantries.  I used thyme, oregano, basil, and marjoram. You can find Emeril's recipe for Herbes de Provence here.
1/2 t. dried rosemary, crushed in hand Omitted (didn't have in pantry)
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 1/2 c. low sodium chicken broth

The directions can be found on the original recipe site.  I didn't really change a whole lot in that regard.  I put the Turkish Bay leaves on top before baking.  Used my 4.5 quart Le Creuset Doufeu which is basically a dutch oven with a top that fits a few pieces of ice (putting the ice on top while baking supposedly keeps the meat more tender while cooking).  The potatoes weren't quite done at 30 min so I let the oven go the full 45 min.  Chicken and veggies turned out perfectly. Z liked this recipe a lot so I'll be using it again - he's my biggest fan and harshest critic so I tend to listen when he says anything about my food.  Ugh - that's sorta hard to admit now that I think about it.  Anyway, you should give this a try.  It was an easy and savory meal that didn't require a separate side item.

No comments: