Sunday, September 18, 2011

Baghdad is a circus



OR...there's a circus in Baghdad.  Yeah, that's what I meant to say.

In all seriousness, I thought this was pretty cool.  It's the first time the circus has come to town in Baghdad since probably 2003 or so.  I'm not a huge fan of the circus anymore but I was when I was a kid.  I loved loved loved the clowns and for a while I collected all sorts of clown figurines.  That is, until I read and later saw the movie, "It".  Needless to stay, that put the breaks on my appreciation of the circus.  Having said that, going to the circus ought the be an inalienable right as a child.  It seems really sad that all the violence here has kept the children from being able to enjoy the bright lights and pageantry of a three ring circus.

It's heartwarming to hear that they've brought it back even though, apparently, they are still waiting for the animals to clear security at the airport (seriously).  The show did go on though with acrobats and magic and other....circusy things so I thought I'd share a few of the photos that I found. 

No comments: